Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Performance Anxiety

In a little more than 24 hours, I will be sitting getting my make-up on for my Milledgeville Players’ debut as Mr. Welch in “Damn Yankees”. Even as I type this, I feel the butterflies starting to come out of their cocoons in my stomach and starting to fly around. “But why?” You are probably asking. Well, this is my first non-Easter production role since high school, and I have to dance!


Yes, you read correctly, DANCE! Now, it may not be a Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers dance, but it is choreographed movement to music. And seeing as how I sometimes have problems walking, I am terrified about this. Especially the three foot jump a minute into the routine!


But enough whining about what I am worried about. I know that was not what you came to read. Since we started rehearsing for this play seven weeks ago (gosh, has it only been seven weeks), I have realized that community theater is a lot more involved than I had imagined. I have been doing the play at Freedom Church for the last five years, and it involved going to play practice one night a week for two hours, and so when I went in to audition, I thought that it would be roughly the same. That bubble was burst as soon as we were through with our auditions.
But, be that as it may, it has definitely been an experience! Never in a million years did I think that I would end up singing and dancing when I walked in to audition for a speaking role. Yet, here I am, preparing to sing my heart out for the opening number, then go and do my best to remember my lines and spots, and finally, sing the finale.


Having said that, there are still tickets available for the play, which runs this Wednesday thru Saturday at 8 pm each night and a Sunday matinee at 2 pm. You can get your tickets at milledgevilleplayers.org or by calling 478-314-4054. Look for me afterwards and tell me what you thought.


Until then, two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.


I welcome your feedback on this or any of my other blogs. Please use the comments button below or shoot me an e-mail at childofking88@aol.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment